13. The Operator's rental fleet is insured under a policy by a motor vehicle insurer ("the Policy") licensed to carry on insurance business in New Zealand under the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act 2010. Under the Policy every person named in this Agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle, subject to Clauses 15 and 18, are covered against losses set out in Clause 12.
The Operator is not providing insurance services to the Hirer. The Operator manages the insurance provided under the Policy. The Operator reserves the right to determine whether or not to claim under the Policy. In the event of damage to the Vehicle, the Hirer agrees to immediately contact, and solely deal with, the Operator.
14. The Hirer can make his/her own insurance arrangements, provided that the Operator is satisfied that the Hirer's insurance is comparable to the cover under the Policy.
15. If the Hirer elects to make his/her own insurance arrangements in accordance with Clause 14 the Hirer must pay a contribution equal to or more than the Operator's Total Excess under the Operators Policy ( the Excess Contribution).
16. If the hirer elects to use the Operator’s insurance, any driver named in the Agreement as a person permitted to drive the Vehicle is, subject to clause 17 and the excess payable by the Hirer as set out in clause 16, covered against the losses set out in clause 12.
17. The Excess payable by the Hirer is $2300 incl GST in each and every case of damage to, or accidents involving, the Vehicle. An additional premium for liability reduction may be offered at the discretion of the Operator. A second amount may be offered to further cover damage to the Vehicle windscreen, at the discretion of the Operator.
18. The Operator may require the Hirer agree to pay a bond at the start of the hire. If loss occurs under clause 12, it may be deducted to the value of the loss or used to contribute to the Excess Contribution or Total Excess, whichever applies. The bond will otherwise be refunded in full following the safe return of the Vehicle, in the same condition that it was hired in, and after allowinng a reasonable time for traffic offence notices to come to the attention of the Operator.